Have you ever wanted to make your own Canadian Style Buckboard Bacon? Nothing beats homemade, just use a pork shoulder roast or loin to make your own Canadian bacon.
Salt, Brown Sugar, Sugar, Maple Sugar, Sodium Nitrite (0.7%) with not more than 2% glycerine added to prevent caking.
The pack cures approx. 11kg of Bacon and is so easy to use.
How to use Buckboard Bacon Cure
- Place 2.5kg of boneless pork shoulder or loin on a clean surface and turn meat fat side up and trim excess fat. The best curing thickness is 7cm to maintain moisture
- Apply the cure to meat and massage in thoroughly, making sure to cover both sides and all edges, leave excess cure on the meat to penetrate
- Place prepared meat in a non-metallic container and cover with plastic wrap or a tightly fitting lid (or a plastic zip bag) and place in refrigerator. Leave the meat in the refrigerator for 7 days, turning it over every couple of days.
- After curing time discard any liquid and soak in fresh water for 1 to 2 hours to remove excess salts. The longer you leave it soaking the less salty your bacon will be. Drain and rinse with fresh water, making sure excess cure is removed. Pat dry and let stand at room temperature at least 1 hour before smoking.
- Place meat on smoking screen or grill and place the meat in your smoker. Using an internal meat thermometer will give the best results. Heat the smoker to 65 C° for 45 minutes without smoke. Increase temperature to 95 C° and start smoking. Smoke until the internal temperature the meat reaches 60 C° degrees. When done turn off the heat and leave bacon in the smoker for 1 hour to cool down.
This is a general guide only as all smokers are diﬀerent. These diﬀerences play an important role in the smoking and ﬁnal ﬂavour. We encourage you to get to know your smoker by adjusting times and temperatures depending on your situation.
Keeping & cooking your smoked bacon
- Keep refrigerated until ready to cook. Uncooked brined and smoked bacon can be refrigerated for up to a week or frozen for 4-5 months
- Pan fry or bake in the oven to your taste and enjoy!
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Downs Heating users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.